We are seeking a Managing Director, HR and People Operations to set the vision and lead the execution of ANet’s human resource function while spearheading innovative HR initiatives that drive equitable outcomes for all staff members. Reporting to and working closely with the Vice President, Talent, the Managing Director will serve as an organizational leader responsible for a wide range of critical work streams, including people data systems, employee relations, and ANet’s operating policies. A successful Managing Director will know how to manage and mitigate HR legal risk, but will also advocate for HR and talent-related systems and policies that support ANet’s goal to be a diverse, inclusive, and anti-racist organization.
This position requires an ability to think strategically about problems as well as a knack for tactical execution. The Managing Director will act as a trusted partner to ANet’s leaders on HR matters, coordinate resource planning operations, and design and drive inclusive and sustainable employee-related services, policies, and processes. This individual will manage an HR Manager and will be a member of ANet’s Talent Team.
Set vision for and drive execution of HR strategy, policies, and procedures
● Ensure all HR systems, processes, and policies embody ANet’s goal to be a diverse, inclusive, and anti-racist organization through close partnership with ANet’s Equity & Anti-Oppression team and the HR Change team
● Act as the PEO Relationship Manager, overseeing HR Manager’s execution of payroll and benefits administration
● Develop compensation and benefits strategy and processes (including salary banding, annual calibration, total rewards/recognition, and titling framework) that consider both external market-based factors and internal equity so that ANet can offer a robust value proposition that attracts and retains top talent
● Design and execute leave processes, including FMLA, ADA, parental leave, etc.
● Manage ANet’s advancement philosophy and promotion process
● Own the development and rollout/implementation of policies, benefits, and ANet’s employee handbook
● Oversee benefits administration (through HR manager) to ensure employees maximize ANet’s benefits
● Work closely with ANet’s legal counsel, ensuring compliance with all state, federal, and school district policies and risk mitigation
Provide managers and team leads with training, materials, and coaching around HR-related needs
● Design and manage HR-related internal guidance and communications that proactively address the needs of ANet’s employees and managers
● Manage performance improvement plans and termination protocols, working side-by-side with managers to execute them, and collaboration with Managing Director, Talent Development
● Oversee employee relations and ombudsman processes and issues, providing consultation, facilitation, and resolution to others based on their proximity to the issue/team
● Work with legal counsel to provide training and resources to managers to ensure compliance with employment laws and regulations
● Communicate new hire and promotion-related salary ranges to Recruitment & Staffing Support team and hiring managers, providing offer guidance and approving final offers
Support Vice President, Talent and Chief Financial Officer in annual talent planning and strategic HR initiatives
● Manage teams to key annual planning milestones and ensure strong coordination, communication, and systems across stakeholders
● Convene talent team leaders with appropriate org leaders (and external experts/advisors, when needed) and facilitate meetings that move HR and people decisions forward
● Advise ANet’s leaders on key HR questions, conducting external research and asserting recommendations that align strong HR practices with organizational needs
Determine ANet’s people data infrastructure and drive insights
● Drive the use of data analytics to produce insights and innovative HR solutions for ANet’s leaders and to identify where inequities exist within our internal HR processes in order to drive toward equitable solutions
● Maintain accurate and up-to-date HR data systems and fulfill all internal and external data reporting requests, collaborating with Talent Team staff who manage other talent-related data systems as needed
● Track and contribute HR-related metrics to the overarching Talent Team Dashboard (including data related to employee retention/turnover, promotions, transitions, exits, demographic analysis, etc.)
● Manage and identify opportunities to improve an HRIS/Employee Information database (in collaboration with the HR Manager)
● Manage and develop an HR Manager who is positioned as credible, proactive, and trusted within the organization and who supports key HR operations, benefits administration, data systems, and more
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily. You are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values, and our work towards becoming an anti-racist organization.
● You have experience leading and managing HR strategies for a scaling or mid-size organization, with knowledge about employment law across multiple states.
● You have developed and implemented HR policies, trainings, etc. with an eye for how they advance equity and are energized by thinking beyond legal requirements when integrating our anti-racist standards into the HR function.
● You are a trusted advisor who people come to with the most complex HR and people challenges. You are skilled at listening, learning, and creatively finding resolutions while maintaining the highest level of personal and professional integrity and maintaining confidential information.
● You bring experience training and coaching others, including managers and senior leaders, on HR practices and building strong relationships across diverse leadership styles. You are experienced and confident in giving and receiving direct feedback, including having difficult conversations and modeling ANet’s values in all HR-related communications.
● You have a strong data-orientation and experience building and managing HR platforms and data systems that generate people insights.
● You have a strong eye for optimizing people processes and the ability to successfully guide org-wide HR initiatives from inception to implementation, including delegating and communicating with cross-functional stakeholders effectively.
● You have a track record of successfully directly and indirectly managing others in HR or talent-related function to strong results.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● You have SHRM or comparable HR certification
● You bring experience working in different HR contexts, preferably with experience in the non-profit sector and/or in a mission-driven organization
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities, deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partner schools. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.